From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA not working with LabVIEW x64

Hi,

I have a setup consisting in a PC running Win7 x64, LabVIEW 2014 x64, a RS232 instrument, and NI-VISA for the communication. It used to work well but for some reasons I recently got the following error message (-1073807202) when trying to open the COM port:

LabVIEW:  (Hex 0xBFFF009E) VISA or a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.  This is usually due to a required driver not being installed on the system.

I have tried to completely uninstall NI-VISA and install the latest version (17.0) including support for 32b and 64b. However, I still get the same error. When running LabVIEW 2014 x86, no error, it's working. Same results with MAX.

When I install NI-VISA, the default location is C:\Program File (x86)\National Instruments. I have tried to install it in C:\Program Files\National Instruments instead but the installer refuses because of "incompatible product installed" in the directory.

I have check the content of Windows\System32 and there are visa32.dll, visa64.dll, visaConfMgr.dll, visaUtilities.dll

In Windows\SysWOW64: VISA_Shared_CleanupUtility.exe, visa32.dll, visaConfMgr.dll.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks.

Pierre

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,331 Views)

You may be missing a service pack

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 6
(4,274 Views)

Have you let VISA install itself to the default directory before you had this error?

Chase
NI Technical Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,248 Views)

Actually, I do not have the choice: it has to be in the default directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\National)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,245 Views)

The latest several versions of NI VISA use SHA-2 signing.  Unless you have applied the Microsoft patch I linked to earlier (Which adds SHA-2 signing) it will not work correctly.  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,242 Views)

Finally, I managed to make it work. Instead of trying to install the latest version of VISA, I got back to the original LabVIEW 2014 Driver DVD and installed VISA from this DVD. Now, both x86 and x64 versions are working well.

I did not have the chance to try the service pack you propose. I will keep it in mind for the next time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,232 Views)