From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA error code -1073807239

Hi,

I am using NI-VISA 5.4 to communicate with Keithley SMU 2636B. On the PC, my application registers a callback to receive service requests from the meter. Once a service request is received, the application calls "ReadStatusByte()" from the MessageBasedSession object to get the status byte and processes it.

That logic works fine most of the time. However, the call to "ReadStatusByte()" fails intermittently with the below error message:

"The protocol specified is invalid.  VISA error code -1073807239 (0xBFFF0079), ErrorInvalidProtocol"

I would appreciate any help I can get on this issue.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(8,693 Views)

@DavidPhung wrote:

Hi,

I am using NI-VISA 5.4 to communicate with Keithley SMU 2636B. On the PC, my application registers a callback to receive service requests from the meter. Once a service request is received, the application calls "ReadStatusByte()" from the MessageBasedSession object to get the status byte and processes it.

That logic works fine most of the time. However, the call to "ReadStatusByte()" fails intermittently with the below error message:

"The protocol specified is invalid.  VISA error code -1073807239 (0xBFFF0079), ErrorInvalidProtocol"

I would appreciate any help I can get on this issue.

Thank you,

Googling ----> http://www.ni.com/support/labview/visa/verr3.htm

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,674 Views)

My application communicates with the meter through LAN, not serial. Moreover, the application open a VISA session only once at the beginning. So the solution does not seem applicable to us.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(8,670 Views)

That error can be related to trying to send too much information at once using a single write command. Please check the following article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/22D4DC24C65123EE86256F12005BCCEE

This does not necessarily explain why the problem seems to be intermittent and the article mentions writing to the device, so I am not sure I will solve the problem in your case. However, since there is not much documentation about that specific error code, I believe it is worth trying. Iif the problem persists after turning "Send End Enable" off let me know and I will dig deeper to see if I can find something for you.

Screenshots from the error window and even the block diagram would be useful for further research.

Also, the fact that the communication goes through LAN does not necessarily mean it is not serial. Still, if you open the session just once at the beginning and close it at the end, it should not be that the session is already open.

Camilo V.
National Instruments
Message 4 of 4
(8,660 Views)