Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA communication

I'm trying to talk to an older serial instrument. It works when I use a very old Quick Basic program at 9600 baud. When I try to use VISA I can't get LabVIEW to recognize the instrument, let alone talk to it or recieve anything back. ... any thoughts
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,988 Views)
LabVIEW/VISA only recognizes the comm port. What are you running that you expect it to be recongnized? In your program did you use VISA Configure Serial Port? Is there a termination character required for write strings? If so, are you sending it and how? Are you running one of the shipping examples for serial communication? Which one? What is the instrument?

As you might guess, the reasons for a serial instrument not working are numerous. At least you know that the cable is correct because it works with the old program. If you were to do a search of the forum for serial communication, you would find hundreds of questions on the topic. If you were to provide some additional information and maybe even attach the code you've written, it would help a lot.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,988 Views)
I do have a LabVIEW routine that checks for ports and it finds the port in question (Com 1). The remainder of the vi says it can't get a signal from the instrument I'm trying to communicate with. I can communicate with the QB program. I'm actually using a drvier for the Dosimat 665 that is available for download on the NI website. It is a user supplied driver, but has been certified. I will try to search for more postings in the various forums. Thanks for the ideas.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,988 Views)