From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA and Enet/100/1000 hangs

I am running 50 Enet/1000 /100 controllers from one PC windows7 server.

Each controller ruins 4 instruments configured the same way.
It is essential that all measurements starts at the same time so my main LabVIEW OOP code submits 50 reentrant background LabView processes completing the same test code.
I find that quite often this will hang LabView>MAX>probably also VISA

Restarting LabView sometimes solves the problem and sometimes the only thing to restore proper interface communication is to power cycle the Enet controller. This can be verifies by MAX>Scan for Instruments, if fMAX hangs kill MAX and then power cycle the Enet unit.  Sometimes I am not so lucky so I have to reset MAX configuration and manually enter all +50 Enet units again as there is no support to import a .nte file. It appears as the larger my application becomes the more easily this exception occurs. this means that 30 statins might run fine, but 40 will not and restating 30 stations again after first running 30 stations will hang 1-20 statins (not all though). Hanging also means according to IO trace log that a simple VISA command will not ever be retuned i.e. gets a timestamp but no duration.

Has anyone else have this experience?

Has anyone run +50 Ènet statins successfully?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,262 Views)

Hi Sir_N,

Have you tried installing the latest VISA driver from the NI website?

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/catnav:du,n8:3.1637,ssnav:su...

As there could be a conflict between NI and other VISAs, try uninstalling any other VISAs you have and reinstall NI VISA. 

You can see the other VISA installed in MAX > Tools > NI-VISA > VISA Options > Conflict Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,190 Views)

I am running the latest versions available.

no other VISA's installed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,184 Views)