From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Timeout error

I am very new to using VISA library, hopefully someone can point me to the right direction.

I have an application (Visual Studio 2013, vb.net) that  is used to control fiber optic switches via serial, utilizing USB-Serial converter. Everything is working the way it is supposed to when I try to communicate with device using exsisting library.

I am trying to evaluate NI VISA library(VISA.COM 5.7) to replace my current one.

When I try to access my device using VISA by sending *IDN? , i get VISA timeout error.

However, if i access my device using current library and then again using VISA i do get a proper response.

This behavior is device specific. If I use the same program and try to communicate with other devices using VISA i do get a proper response.

The device is LightTech Switch LT3000.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,511 Views)

Maybe that device uses another type of end of message sign. Could be cr or lf or both. I would try all combinations.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,471 Views)