From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA-How to make real time graph in LabView 2013 from incoming data through serial port

I am new to LabView 2013.

I made hardware for collecting data from deivce using serial port.

My requirements are:

I want to make real time graph of incoming data from hardware through serial port in pc.

Now experts please help what are necessary things are required to make real time graph of incoming data coming via serial port to pc in Labview 2013.

What are the components are required in LabView to do such project.?????

Please provide me complete information because I am new in LabView 2013

Waiting for your response.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,125 Views)
Start with one of the shipping examples for serial communication. Since you have not provided any details on the instrument you are trying to communicate with, it is impossible to say what else you might need. If this is a commercial instrument, see if there is an existing driver by going to Help> Find Instrument Drivers.

Actually, before doing anything in LabVIEW, test the communication with a terminal emulation program such as hyperterminal, putty, or the VISA test panels in MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,119 Views)

The harware made by myself which is 8051 controller that convert the number of bits that run seven segment display to ASCI which is compatible as our compter data.

Now please tell me after connection to labview, in order to make real time graph of incoming data from instrument what are the main componets require to make real time graph of incoming data in labview

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,116 Views)
It depends on how you've programmed the micro. Do you have to send a command to request data? What is the format of the data - ASCII, hex? How many bytes are being sent? Is there a termination character being sent? Is the serial port listed in MAX?

The basics of using a chart will be explained by the free LabVIEW tutorials but you first need to acquire something with one of the methods I've mentioned.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,110 Views)

The hardware is in progress stage and not complete yet now.

Of course data format is ASCII obviously  Can you explan following thing said by you

How many bytes are being sent? Is there a termination character being sent? Is the serial port listed in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,104 Views)
ASCII is not obvious but that is a decision you have to make.

If you choose ASCII, each character is one byte so the reading will depend on the values you send - integers or floating point.

A termination character such as a carriage return or line feed is usually appended at the end of ASCII data. This is done so that the receiving end knows that the data is complete. The receiver (your instrument) would also use the character.

In order for LabVIEW to use a serial port, NI'S VISA driver must recognize it as such. MAX is a utility program from NI that will list VISA resources. If you use a USB-serial adapter, the Windows driver creates a virtual com port. If your device incorporates its own chip for the conversion (i.e. one from FTDI), then you use a driver from the vendor to do the same thing. When it's plugged in, a system enumerates a new com port. It's possible to do direct USB communication at a very low level but it's more difficult at the LabVIEW end.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,101 Views)

okay connection is done with pc with serial to usb converter.

Now you have to tell me next procedure that what are required in Labview to analyze and make a real time graph of incoming data in LabView.???

From where I will start in Labview to make a real time graph in the end output. What is required in starting if I use visa for read only data.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,094 Views)
As I've already said, there are shipping examples. Both have options to only do a read. Once you've got an example to read, modify it so that the read is inside a while loop. The string returned would need to be converted to a numeric (see the conversion functions on the string palette) and then wired to a chart.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,089 Views)