From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Error 0xBFFF00A5 (VI_ERROR_INTF_NUM_NCONFIG) Encountered in NI-MAX when Connecting to Instr through GPIB-USB-HS

HI,

I'm trying to connect to an ATS-810 over GPIB-USB-HS (PC -> USB -> GPIB-USB-HS -> GPIB Cable -> ATS-810). I can see the device clearly with the address "GPIB0::7::INSTR" in NI-MAX under "Devices and Interfaces." I can even open the "Communicate with Instrument" panel and query with *IDN. However, when i click "Open VISA Test panel" i am unable to open the resource.

I am currently trying to set up some automation in Visual Studio and call the .Open command which fails in the same way. 

It's curious that the device shows up in NI-MAX but not the VISA Interactive Control. In NI-MAX, the version shows up as 16.0.0f0. I'm not a professional with this software so if you need other information to diagnose, please let me know and I will provide. 

The error text:

Error opening resource:
GPIB0::7::INSTR

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF00A5) The interface type is valid, but the specified interface number is not configured.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,306 Views)

Hello kmohammed 3, 

Could you elaborate a little bit on what you mean by "unable to open the resource"?

Thanks, 

Danielle

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,259 Views)

I can't really elaborate much more than when I try to open the VISA resource from the NI-MAX by clicking on the "Open VISA Test Panel", it generates the error string that i mentioned at the bottom of the original post. I also tried opening the VISA resource via Measurement Studio (Snippet

this.mbSession = (MessageBasedSession)ResourceManager.GetLocalManager().Open(sAddress);

Although, i should follow up and mention that this was resolved by following Tip 2 in the following document. 

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5990-3731EN.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,255 Views)

I see that the document you referenced talks about how to use Agilent GPIB and NI GPIB at the same time, this explaination was able to solve the error?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,240 Views)