From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: Access to the resource or remote machine is denied.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello. 

I am using a cRIO-9076 to communicate with a Keithley 2400 through the RS-232 port on the cRIO. I have a test vi that is built using the Keithley 2400 drivers and it works perfectly fine with the vi is located under "My Computer" in my project. If I move that vi onto the Remote NI-cRIO9076 potion of the project and try to run the vi I get a

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF00A8 Access to the resource or remote machine is denied............

I've seen that I need to add something to the Remote Access List on the cRIO which I find a little confusing. I want to use the serial port on the cRIO through VISA to communicate to the Keithley, so I need to give the cRIO permission on the cRIO?? I'm obviously confused. 

I've tried adding a simple * (wildcard) to the access list as a temporary solution but I will still get the same error. 

I would appreciate some guidance.

Thank you

Roth

cRIO 9076

Lab View 2013

Keithley 2400

NI-VISA 5.4.0

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,545 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,540 Views)

Yes. I've tried exactly that. I entered the "*" to rule out the chance of using the wrong IP for the moment.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,530 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RothNRK

if you want to move the vi to the CRIO, you may change the resource name.

my example is based on cRIO-9068. While executing the MAX on my local host, there may show as below.

The resource for the cRIO-9068 should as "ASRLx:INSTR"

viresouce.png

Good luck!

Message 4 of 6
(6,510 Views)

Thank you.

Yes, I just figured that out last night.  While the vi was loaded on my host system the location was visa://111.111.1.111/ASRL1::INSTR but if I simply drag the vi down to the remote host that location is incorrect and will give a permission error. I needed to change the resource name to just ASRL1::INSTR. 

A simple gotcha. 

Roth

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,499 Views)

Hello,

I already make changes and I can not activate the com port.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,630 Views)