Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA 3.0 for making VXI-11.2 interface on server computer

I would like to confugure my server computer with NI PCI_GPIB interface as VXI-11.2 interface. Is it possible to do this task by means of NI VISA 3.0?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,230 Views)
NI-VISA does not present a VXI-11 compatible server interface. So the short answer to your question is 'no'. However, there are several options for making your server system available remotely:

1) Use remote NI-VISA server, which exposes the NI-VISA resources through an alternate and more powerful protocol that allows you to use the entire VISA API. The server makes VISA resources accessible to any NI-VISA client version 3.0 or higher.

2) Use NI-Device to write a translator application that you run on your server. NI-Device is something that an instrument vendor would typically implement inside their firmware, to make the device natively support VXI-11, but it is also valid for you to use in this case as a translator. NI-Device is a separate packag
e available for purchase from NI.

3) If you are using LabVIEW, consider other remoting protocols like DataSocket or remote VIs.

Hope this helps.

Dan Mondrik
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,230 Views)
To add, NI-Device will make a VXI-11.3 interface (native ethernet interface). Do you need specifically a VXI-11.2 interface (Ethernet to GPIB converter)?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,230 Views)
Thank you for reply.

I know that NI offers NI-Device software. But NI-Device software price (about 8000 Euro) does not fit for my application.

I have got NI PCI-GPIB card and would like to set up LAN-GPIB gateway, which is compliant with VXI-11.2 specification. In case of using Agilent PCI-GPIB card it is very easy task. It is necessery to start SICL-LANL server included in standard I/O library only.

I have visited VXI p&p web site (http://www.vxipnp.org)and did not found that VXIplug&play Systems Alliance add new VISA type address, that it is necessary to use with NI VISA server.

Im my instutute software from different vendors are used. There the decision was made to build our system based on standardized system software only. In my h
umble opinion it is a good idea for NI to offer simple and cheaper solution for VXI-11.

In my point of view, devices (Tektronix, Agilent, etc) supported VXI-11.2 or VXI-11.3 specifications work reliable enough.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,230 Views)