Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA 15.0 drops support for LabVIEW 2011?

(Generally I hang more on the LabVIEW forum but figured this was the more appropriate venue.)

Per the release notes, VISA 15.0 shows support only back to LabVIEW 2012.  I've got lots of production applications using 2011 runtime (and probably a few using 2009 as well).  Can someone from NI give me a read on whether I can still expect the applications to run if VISA runtime should happen to get updated to 15.0?  Nothing fancy going on with the hardware - just plain old serial stuff in use.

Thanks,

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,993 Views)

I sorry, but I don't understand how your post relatest to digital input trigger?

Does it require a pull up or down?

It didn't before.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,986 Views)

Ummm... It doesn't.

I show my question as a separate topic from yours.  Did the forum cross something up?

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,982 Views)

yes, but not now sorry

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,973 Views)

Hello Dave,

It's possible that the applications may run with VISA Run-Time Engine 15.0, but it's not supported and should not be expected behavior. Errors could occur with incompatible versions, so I would recommend staying within the compatible range for LabVIEW versions used.

Lauren

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,931 Views)

What specific is not supported anymore in VISA 15.0

Especially for serial communication.

If VISA 15.0 behaves like that can we stay with VISA 14.0,

I really don't like the developments in VISA the last years, too many things are building up. What is the reason for these flaws?

Should we really consider staying with old versions?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,895 Views)
NI-VISA and LabVIEW Version Compatibility for Windows:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CF4279A34F855AB186257B1F00003B82
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,889 Views)

So it is the normal shift of not supporting older software, because newer ia available, no special reasons except guaranteing it maybe has issues, because nobody cares? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,870 Views)

Typically the drivers support the four most recent versions of LabVIEW from when the driver was released. For example, VISA 15.0 supports LabVIEW 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012. The supported versions are listed in the readme of the driver. It's not that nobody cares, that's just what the drivers are specifically designed to be compatible with.

Albert.Geven, what flaws are you concerned about with the newer VISA drivers?

Thanks,

Lauren
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,843 Views)

We had several serial problems in executables with serial communications. A special problem came up withArduino communication  in combination with end char detection.

With software endcharacters the system works reliable on more than 10 systems from several vendors.

NI claims that the Arduino seral driver is guilty but if that is the case, I would prefer a software solution in the vsa driver instead of relying on external drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,831 Views)