Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VB.Net with N5745A etc and 8648B using National GPIB-USB-HS

I need to write a VB.NET program using several 'modern' Agilent instruments and also an old 8648B sig gen. The new instruments - with a mixture of USB and GPIB interfaces are working fine using the IVIAgilent type libraries. The old sig gen, with GPIB interface. has no library. How should I proceed?

All instruments can be accessed using Agilent Connection Expert and NI MAX.  I'm using Windows7.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,632 Views)

@alanf999 wrote:

I need to write a VB.NET program using several 'modern' Agilent instruments and also an old 8648B sig gen. The new instruments - with a mixture of USB and GPIB interfaces are working fine using the IVIAgilent type libraries. The old sig gen, with GPIB interface. has no library. How should I proceed?

All instruments can be accessed using Agilent Connection Expert and NI MAX.  I'm using Windows7.

Why does it matter if the signal generator has a library or not?

In the end, all you are doing is sending commands and queries to the instrument. Hopefully you have a programmer's manual for it.

If not, it may be time to upgrade.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,627 Views)

Thanks for your reply. My problem is that I don't know what Reference and Imports I need.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,611 Views)

@alanf999 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. My problem is that I don't know what Reference and Imports I need.

There are example programs for .NET that should have installed with NI-VISA and NI-488.2.

If you installed Visual Studio afterwards, you'd need to do a modify of the NI-VISA and NI-488.2 installations through Control Panel.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,602 Views)