Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the TNT4882 Linux Driver Inside Instrument

I am running Linux as the operating system inside a piece of test equipment I'm designing (embedded application). I am planning on using the National Instruments TNT4882 GPIB IC. The processor is a Pentium class processor. Will the NI Linux driver for the TNT4882 work for this application? Or does this driver make itself the controller on the GPIB bus no matter what?

Anyone have any experince with this? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,180 Views)
Hi Crytan,

This is the type of application for which NI-Device was developed. Ni-Device is an instrument side driver that allows you to implement Talker/Listener applications. NI-Device maps the IEEE 488.2 Message protocol state machine, so the device would be IEEE 488.2 compliant. This would be the recommended driver.

There is a DDK for NI-Device 1.4, which is ported to Linux. The driver is written in C++ and the API is also C++.

This is not a free driver. You can get more info at:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=7151〈=US

Let me know if you have any questions.

DiegoF
National Instruments.
Message 2 of 4
(3,180 Views)
Thanks for helping to direct me.

It looks like since I'm only creating a GPIB interface and not USB or Ethernet, I can use the Standard edition. Is this correct?

From the datasheet for for the DDK, it is unclear whether it supports an ISA bus or just a PCI. Is ISA supported?

Thanks.

Cryan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,180 Views)
Hi Crytan,

Yes, to both questions.

You would only need the Standard edition, which has support for GPIB only.

The DDK linux example has support for ISA and PCI devices.

DiegoF.
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,180 Views)