Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using gpib-usb-hs with VISA on SUSE 13.2

Hello,

I am trying to communicate with some GPIB devices using the GPIB-USB-HS on SUSE 13.2. I have installed 488.2 and NI-VISA, and ran the AddUsbRawPermissions.sh script to get the permissions correct for my user. At this point, the VISA Interactive Control can find the USB raw device, but it does not find any GPIB devices.

In order to use the GPIB-USB-HS, should it be configured as a USB raw device, or is there some other configuration I need to set it up with? I have attached the output of lsusb -v for this device.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,985 Views)

Hi vpantski,

What version of 488.2 are you using?  It sounds like it may be a driver issue according to this article.

Ashley G.
Senior Applications Engineer | RF & Wireless Communications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,957 Views)
I installed 15.1.0 (the latest release). I suspect it is a driver issue as well (in my lsusb output it doesn't seem to associate any driver with the device), but I'm not sure if it's because I ran that usb permissions script. Before I ran the script I couldn't access the device due to permissions issues, and the script was listed as the preferred way. Maybe I should edit the udev rules myself?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,945 Views)

I'm not too familiar with writing udev rules, but if you can write a rule to get the driver to associate with that device (kind of like what that last article describes doing in Device Manager on a Windows system) then I think that would work.

Ashley G.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,921 Views)

Hey vpantski,

I ammend my previous post - in poking around the 488.2 15.1 for linux, the readme shows that GPIB-USB-HS actually isn't supported hardware for that driver, despite what the download page incorrectly says. Sorry for that confusion!

Ashley G.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,902 Views)