Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using global variables with FPGA VI and an main VI

First off, I am fairly new with labview.

I am wondering if it was possible to obtain data from an FPGA VI so that it can be read in a regular VI.

I tried using global variables, but the data doesn't update.

Basically what I tried doing was using a Global Variable and have it in write mode in the FPGA, and then have it in read mode on the regular VI with an indicator attached to it. But I am not getting data out of it, it just stays zero. I intend to use this data as part of my main program.

Is there a way I can achieve this, or is there another method?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,448 Views)

Hi blackbird307,

The best way to communicate between FPGA and your main VI depends on what type of data you are trying to send. In the RIO architecture, it is generally best to use the FPGA and RT OS together wuith network-published variables with RT FIFOs enabled, for simple monitoring of values. If you need to stream and save large amounts of data,  you can use Network Streams. For more detailed information about how to set up these variables or data streams, please refer to the cRIO Developer's Guide: (http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/fullcriodevguide.pdf). In particular, Chapter 4 should be very helpful in showing how to set up inter-process communication.

If you are using hardware other than a cRIO, please let me know. The general VI architecture should be similar however, if using an R Seires PXI card with an RT OS controller.

Hope this helps. Thank you for choosing NI, and best of luck!

Best Regards,

Roel F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,420 Views)

To pass data from and FPGA, you need to use a DMA FIFO or communicate over the front panel interface.

Since you are new to LabVIEW, I would highly recommend you try to get some training.  The Self Paced Training that NI offers should include FPGA.  After getting some of the basics of LabVIEW, go through that course.

3 Hour Introduction
6 Hour Introduction
LabVEW Basics
Self Paced training for students
Self Paced training beginner to advanced, SSP Required
LabVIEW Wiki on Training
Learning NI
Getting Started with NI Products

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,416 Views)