Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using both NI GPIB-USB-HS and Keithley KUSB

I am trying to use two different GPIB-USB connecters on one computer-(1 Keithley KUSB and 1 NI GPIB-USB-HS) to communicate in LABVIEW.

To use NI's GPIB to USB, you need to install NI's 488.2 and need to make sure no other GPIB communication software is installed.

To use Keithley GPIB to USB, you need to uninstall NI's 488.2 software and use the Keithley Specific Driver, GPIB-488 ver 9.2. (This has been covered by a few posts on the forum)

My problem is that I can get both devices to work individually with their respective softwares but not togather.

I am wondering, has anyone found a work around for a similar type of problem?

Are two different 488 software protocols not allowed on the same computer?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,017 Views)
I've never done it but there have been posts and articles about Keysight and NI controllers installed on the same pc. If the names of the drivers are different, I don't see why you can't have both. Why do you want to do this, anyway? Do you have that many instruments?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,010 Views)

Thank you for the quick reply Dennis! I will look into the Keysight+NI controller combos to see if anything useful pops up!

Its not the fact that I have many instruments on one PC, its the fact that I want to read data from two different GPIB-communicating units in two different Vi's at the same time.

In the past, I had one GPIB to USB convertor, so I used semaphores to split the read commands so there would be no overlap when reading devices.

Now another GPIB to USB convertor became free in my lab so I wanted to take advantage of that and not use semaphores.

Thanks,

Sheel

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,001 Views)
Generally, it's not required to read at the same time or use semaphores. If you can trigger both instruments at the same time, you just read them sequentially.

Look at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3b3626d9c1f999218625694200791ad7 for how to use Keysight and NI controllers. I don't know if Keithley VISA works the same way.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,995 Views)