Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using NI488.2, is it possible to configure the Interface card as a 'Listen-only' device

At one time,the older gpib.dll supported the ability to change an interface card register in order to allow the card to function as a Talk-Only or Listen-Only device. I want to do that with version 1.7 of NI488.2. How would I do that? If I switched to VISA, would I be allowed to do this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,039 Views)
What is your end-goal? In other words, what do you hope to accomplish by making a "Listen-only" device. The reason I ask is that I may be able to make some suggestions that may not depend on the driver being able to do specific things.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,039 Views)
Hi..
We use a number of different NI Gpib cards here at work in conjunction with some RF test equipment in a development environment. Most of this equipment will only work in a Talker-Only mode and are meant to dump data to a Pen Plotter. My objective is to write a universal application that will allow the PC to emulate a plotter in a 'listen-only' mode. Some of our PCs are older ISA versions (Win98,etc) where others are PCI (Win2000,XP). I want to write the software so that any of these platforms could be used.
Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Jim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,039 Views)
I believe that there is an ibconfig options for IbcLON, which places the device in listen-only mode. I know it is available in the 2.x driver, but I belive it is also available in the 1.x architecture. You should be able to open a board-level handle, configure it to be a listener-only and then retrive the data with an ibrd (or ibrda).

Good luck.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,039 Views)