From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using GPIB ENET/100 under Linux

I am trying to configure GPIB ENET/100 under Mandrake linux 9.1. With the guidence of NI tutorials I configured the controller for the IP address. Finally I verified the installation process using the "ibtsta" command.But I am not able to see the device (controller) when I run "NIvisaic" and search for resources.The utility is only showing the serial ports on my system. I need some help regarding this.

I successfully configured the controller and even executed some applications with instruments on Windows 2000 using MAX and I am trying the same on Mandrake Linux.

Viji
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,567 Views)
Hey Viji,

I am not sure if you are using the right driver or tutorials for setting this ENET/100 up on a Linux machine.

The NI-488.2 driver for Linux (http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=12357〈=US) and the ENET should have included a GPIB Explorer that you can use to setup the enet. Setting up the enet on Linux or Mac OS X should be very similar to setting the device up on Windows, but it sounds like you might be trying to use the Solaris or PCI GPIB driver and not the Linux Enet driver that is shown in the link above.

I have attached the getting started and user manual that should have came with your driver so you can see if these are the instructions that you followed.

After installing the driver you should be able to follow the instruc
tions in chapter 3 to add the ENET. If you are already doing this and still have problems let me know and I can see what kind of test machine I can set up.

I hope this helps out.

JoshuaP
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,567 Views)
I am using beta version of the NI-488.2 driver on linux..My application is currently running correctly using GPIB read/write drivers...but I want to use VISA for communicating with the instrument...Can I use the beta version of the driver and still use VISA drivers?

Viji
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,567 Views)
Hey Viji,

I am pretty positive that VISA will not work with the beta driver. If you want to use VISA you will need to purchase the released version of the driver.

This is mentioned in the paragraph for the ENET on the Linux support page for the 2.2 released drivers. "The driver can be used from both C/C++ and LabVIEW applications. In either case, you can also use VISA."

http://www.ni.com/linux/ni488dl.htm

JoshuaP
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,567 Views)