From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Labview to download a data file

I have a time-critical problem that I'm hoping some of the experts here can help me fix. In the file download_c.vi, I am trying to download a file from a remote computer over a serial port to my Labview control computer. The file works great when the file size is small(500-700KB). Anything over this, and I have to increase the bytes for the visa read to read, and then I lose data. Eventually the file that I will be downloading will be about 600MB. I know that the way the .vi is set up, this will never work for large files, and I throw myself on the mercy of the experts here in the forums for help.
Can anyone take a look at the file that I've attached and show me how i can make this work for large files, more efficiently, and without losing my data.

Advance thanks from a beginner that is getting slightly desperate.

JDM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,006 Views)
Is serial the only way you have to transfer the data?...its just a lot of data for that slow of a protocol.

-Brett
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,987 Views)
JDM.
As you can see, if you post the same question in multiple threads and multiple boards you just get people to respond for no reason. Brett's answer is almost identical to the one I gave you in the LV board and probably not far off from what you would have gotten from the others in your third thread. If you do post to multiple boards, include a link to the other thread, so people can see which answers you already recieved.

(2,980 Views)
My apologies for the multiple posts. The project that is being discussed is actually being worked on by three different individuals. All three use the same computer to log onto ni.com, so we all post under the same screen name. We actually didn't realize that we had all been posting the same question until i recieved your post tonight.

My apoligies for my team cluttering the groups.

Jim
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,978 Views)