From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected ECIC Error

We recently upgraded our PCs from Lenovo C20 to C30. Both are running Win7 64-bit, in combination with a NI GPIB card. We are currently using version 2.8 of the NI-488.2 library. All these PC's are used to communicate with different GPIB devices. C30 PC's is however raising unexpected GPIB CIC errors (Controller In Charge), during the communication with the devices. The same program has been running fine over many years on the C20 PC's without the CIC errors.

Here are some of my observations:

1. When the NI-SPY program is running the CIC error did not occur ever after 2 days. When the NI-Spy program was closed, the CIC error occured within a day.
2. I tried changing the IbaTiming config parameter from 350 ns to 2 us as suggested by one of the threads here. That didnt help.
3. I also the added the condition where If the CIC bit was not set, wait until the CIC was set or until it timeouts before calling the Send() and ReadByte() commands. See below code:

if ((Ibsta & CIC) == 0)
 {
  OutputDebugString("Waiting for CIC or TIMO to be set");
  ibwait(nBoardID, (CIC | TIMO));
  if(Ibsta & TIMO)
  {
   OutputDebugString("Timeout Error Waiting for CIC");
  }
 }
 Sleep( 10 );
 Send( nBoardID, nDeviceAddress, ptrBuffer, lLength, nEOT );

I never saw the "Timeout Error Waiting for CIC" indicating that the CIC was surely set before calling the Send() or ReadByte() commands, neverthless I see the CIC error.

4. I also tried using ThreadIbsta() instead if Ibsta variable. But that didn't make any difference.

Does anyone have a suggestion or solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance,
SK

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,783 Views)
The first suggestion I would make is to try the latest version of the driver.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-488.2-14.0/4802/en/
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,779 Views)

I upgraded to the latest version of the driver but I still see the error CIC error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,558 Views)

With the latest driver upgraded, I changed the bus timing from 500 ns to 2 us. However, this time the CIC error appeared much later than it appeared with old version of the driver & bus timing 500 ns. Any suggestions please? I've completely run out of ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,518 Views)