From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to Serial Port Adapter

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, my laptop doesn't have a serial port.

If I wish to connect to some NI hardware using RS-232, RS-485, CANBUS etc, will I get any problems using a USB to serial adapter?

When I was programming PIC microcontrollers, we were told not to use the adapters to program the PIC. I found this a little confusing as the signal coming from the adapter should be identical to what would come from a serial port. I am not sure what the reason is.

Are there any known issues using a USB to serial adapter with NI hardware (specifically the sbRIO-9651 Reference Carrier that I am using and also just in general) or should I be fine to use it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,105 Views)

You shouldn't expect to have any issues between the SOM and a USB RS232 adapter.  The SOM refernece carrier includes a fully compliant RS232 transceiver, so it functions at RS232 line levels, not just the 0-5V TTL that some low cost USB adapters use.

I have seen low cost USB RS232 adapters that don't fully comply with RS232 specifications, and that may be why some other folks recommended not interfacing between PIC and a USB adapter.  The NI USB-232 is the adapter I always use (I work at NI). It is on the expensive side for USB RS232 adapters, but I know that NI has built a port that handles the corners cases of RS232 correctly.

Cheers,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,095 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author David-Baratheon

I've got a box of NI USB-232's that no longer function.  Not sure if it's a ground loop or something with the signals through it, but ... yeah, they don't last real long in my experience.  (This was years ago, i've sent a bunch back, don't know if improvements have been made since then.)

IOGear GUC-232A and SILabs CP2102/MAX3232's work well for me; never had a problem with those.  Anything FTDI is solid, beware of counterfeit chips with that manufacturer.

SILabs has an HID-UART chip available (CP2110) that works well on machines that have restricted driver-installing permissions. 

Message 3 of 4
(5,061 Views)

Thanks, I think I'll get a FTDI  US232R-100  ADAPTOR CABLE, USB TO RS232, 100CM from farnell and see how I get on with it

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,968 Views)