Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Communication with Sartorius MSA6202S-100-D0 Balance

I am trying to use LabView 2017 to communicate with the Sartorius MSA6202S-100-D0 weight scale.  The scale supports USB, RS232 (DB25 connector) and Ethernet communication, but I am trying to communicate via USB at the moment to do simple commands, such as tare the scale and record the weight displayed on the LCD screen.  Does anyone have a list of the SCPI commands for this scale?  I looked online, but could not find any documentation.

Thank you,

Carl Cygan

Test Engineer  / Device Engineering for Hospital Products – EE Team

Baxter Healthcare Corporation

25212 W IL Route 120 / RL WG1-2N / Round Lake, Illinois 60073

T +1.224.270.5159

M: 1.847.769.2273

carl_cygan@baxter.com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,461 Views)

Normally the commands are in the usermanual of the balance.

I have experience with older sartorius balances and the syntax was very easy, not skippy.

But easy enough to write. 

The older balances always were troublesome to communicate with because the serial connection was not easy to configure and the balance was critical in setting up but once functioning very reliable.

If you place the manual on line I can try to help you.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,403 Views)

I found the programming manual for the Sartorius MSA6202S-100-D0 Balance online and attached it to this message (see Sartorius_MINI_SICS_Commands.pdf attachment).  Fortunately, the MINI SICS commands are very simple (S for read weight at stability and T for tare scale at stability), so writing LabView code was easy to do as well.  I posted 2 VIs written in LabView 2017 for anyone who is interested in taring or reading weight from a Sartorius MSA6202S-100-D0 Balance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,355 Views)

Nicely done, but too many input parameters.

If you don't implement anything else than USB, just leave the other inputs away.

And don't open and close in a while but always before and after the while.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,350 Views)

Hello Everyone in this thread,

I am trying to read the weight on a Satorius Quintix 125D-1CEU. I extracted the drivers from the scale itself via USB mass storage. The settings I use on the scale (I found this on another NI thread)

• USB Port - Device/ Protocol --> PC-SBI
  • printout --> Manual without stability

IF I use a serial monitor (putty in this case) I can read the COM port and whenever I press print on the print option on the scale I receive the weight in putty on my laptop. 

Now I want to reproduce this in LabVIEW. I have LabVIEW 2017 installed. So, I downloaded the corresponding NI - Satorius driver from http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E654C3E882593B45E0340003BA230E... . However, non of the examples or seperate functions work.  

In putty I use a baud rate of 1200. From the VI library I gather that the settings are:

• Flow control: RTC/CTS
  • Parity: Odd
  • Data bits: 7
  • Stop bits: 1

Scale: https://www.sartorius.com/shop/ww/en/eur/applications-laboratory-weighing-laboratory-balances/quinti... 

Manual (in German): https://www.sartorius.com/shop/medias/?context=bWFzdGVyfGRvY3VtZW50c3wxMTU0MTQyNnxhcHBsaWNhdGlvbi9wZ... 
Manual similar scale (in English): https://www.scientificlabs.co.uk/handlers/libraryFiles.ashx?filename=Manuals_B_BAL7100_C.pdf 

My current VI is in the attachments. The error I currently get is: 
VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,019 Views)

I don't know who worked on these vi's but the print vi has awkward connections so never approved by old school LabVIEW users.

What I do know is that somewhere things went wrong. Maybe your serial port is not 1 but 3 or even 4, but if putty works you should know.

You also can look at the old school vi's in the beginnng of this thread. Just try them and report back what you see.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,003 Views)