Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two HP3458A synchronous triggering - time delay

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tina2

First question: What type of signals do you want to measure simultanously?

We had a similar task, finding the time (group) delay between a scopecard and a 3458. We used a sine generator, captured the same signal on both devices (20-100 periodes) , and used the tone detection (and a linear sine fit) to determine the group delay.   With a stable generator this worked out nice even with sub sampling (RIS) the signal on the 3458 using a >100kHz sine signal.

Make shure you have a clean good trigger signal for the HP äh AG äh .... How do they call them know?? 😉   

If I remember right the uncertaincy we got remain in the single digit ns region..

Dennis: In some cases it is still hard to find an instrument that will beat the 3458 🙂  and in the frequency range up to 12kHz (direct sampling with the 3458) I don't know of somthing beating the uncertainty. Next : If you have two 3458 it will sometimes be hard to get the money for a nearly compareable two channel system.. 

Finally: The joy of engineering is to do what you what with the stuff you can get! 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(2,356 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

First question: What type of signals do you want to measure simultanously?

We had a similar task, finding the time (group) delay between a scopecard and a 3458. We used a sine generator, captured the same signal on both devices (20-100 periodes) , and used the tone detection (and a linear sine fit) to determine the group delay.   With a stable generator this worked out nice even with sub sampling (RIS) the signal on the 3458 using a >100kHz sine signal.

Make shure you have a clean good trigger signal for the HP äh AG äh .... How do they call them know?? 😉   

If I remember right the uncertaincy we got remain in the single digit ns region..

Dennis: In some cases it is still hard to find an instrument that will beat the 3458 🙂  and in the frequency range up to 12kHz (direct sampling with the 3458) I don't know of somthing beating the uncertainty. Next : If you have two 3458 it will sometimes be hard to get the money for a nearly compareable two channel system.. 

Finally: The joy of engineering is to do what you what with the stuff you can get! 🙂

HI, Henrik.

Answer: AC sine signal.

Yes, there are Hewllett Packard (HP) and Agilent (AG) 3458A instruments.

I'll write to you soon as I generate more questions! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(2,345 Views)