From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trubble initiating USB 2000 Ocean optics spectrometer

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the updated spy capture, I'm currently trying to replicate your error. As to your hunch about the command, 64. The number 64 is attached to a VISA read block which effectively polls the instrument for 64 bytes of data. It appears that what is happening is that the instrument is not returning the spectral data it was queried for. As to your request about a USB2000 manual, because Ocean Optics has discontinued this instrument superceding it with the USB2000+ their documentation for this instrument is lacking. However, the ADC1000 command set is exactly identical to the USB2000 with the addition of channel-specific commands, this manual can be found at this location: http://www.oceanoptics.com/technical/engineering/ADC1000.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 58
(5,749 Views)

Hello all.  I am an engineer from Ocean Optics.  I have worked with Ayo before.  I have a USB2000 (not plus) hooked up to the computer and loaded the Acquire Continuous Waveform example and it runs with out problem.  I have also run the process spectrum vi.

(I am using windows XP SP3 with labview 2010 SP1 32 bit, using the latest drivers from NI)

Robert, do you have a way to know that the spectrometer does infact work?  Do you have Spectrasuite installed on your computer to test with?

James G

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 58
(5,733 Views)

Hi James,

Thanks for your input. I am using LabVIEW 2010 SP1 and Win XP SP3 32 bit as well. The spectrometer is quite old, and I have only got the software that was bought with it (not by me) which is Oo base 32 version 1. The drivers provided with this software is not suported by labVIEW and hence when I wanted to run labview I first removed these drivers, then installed the drivers from NI. The NI drivers does not work with Oo base 32. However, with the drivers installed there are no problems with the spectrometer, with Oo base 32 I can aquire a spectrum without any problem, so I do not thing that there is anything wrong with the spectrometer.

I have gone back and forth with the driver to really check, and reinstalling the Oo base-driver maked the spectrometer work fine with Oo base 32 also now.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 58
(5,719 Views)

Hello,

I work with USB2000+ spectrometer of Ocean Optics, I use Labview 2010 and Visa 5.0 and Windows 7.

I have downloaded the labview drivers for Ocean Optics spectrometer from NI website.

The problem: Even if I can see it in the device manager, I cannot find the device in MAX so I cannot run my labview application! :

In MAX it is wretten VISA Warning

Visa code error

0x3FFF0077 (VI_WARN_CONFIG_NLOADED)

Description of error:

viOpenDefaultRM returned 0x3FFF0077 (Die angegebene Konfiguration ist entweder nicht vorhanden oder konnte nicht geladen werden. Es werden daher VISA-spezifische Voreinstellungen verwendet.)

This error usually occurs when a Passport either could not be found or could not be loaded. Please make sure your Passports are correctly configured by using the Passport editor, and then refresh your configuration tree. The following Passports were enabled on your system but could not be found or loaded:

C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin\NiViPxi.dll could not be loaded

Possible reasons for this warning:

1. A Passport was either renamed or deleted.

2. A Passport depends on other components in your system that are no longer present.

3. Your installation of VISA is corrupt, i.e. an internal registry key is missing or changed.

4. An older installation of VISA may have caused this warning without specifying more information. Try refreshing the configuration tree to get more information.

I can not find out what more to add to make my question clear, please let me know if additional information is required, and I will try to apply it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLY.

Best regards.

Abedi

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 58
(5,647 Views)

This seems to point out to a wrong installation of VISA.

Do you by accident have also agilent visa on board or do you still have the ocean optics old driver on board?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 58
(5,634 Views)

Thank Your prompt answer.

I uninstalled Ocean optics drivers and I don't have any agilent Visa in my computer.

The Labview 2010 was installed with all components so I don't know what do you mean by wrong installation of VISA.

The problem still there.

Thank you

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 58
(5,632 Views)

Hello,

Did you follow the recommended steps for switching drivers in the Readme? It is not possible to use the LabVIEW driver and Ocean Optics driver at the same time. This might be your issue.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 58
(5,623 Views)

Hello Cpt Monac,

Thank you for your reply.

That is true, it is not possible to use Labview and Ocean Optics drivers in the same computer.

I don't understand why it is not possible and why it is not written in any part in the Ocean Optics documentations that it is WRONG to use both in the same computer (since many people do the same error confirming by the number of post in the forum regarding this thematic).

I uninstall OO drivers and now everything is working properly!.

Thank you and best regards

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 58
(5,616 Views)

That is because only one of the protocols can be active at one time.

Ocean Optics did not know that new drivers would be available and I agree that it should be even more prominent during the installation of the driver or in the initialise vi

But reading a manual is usually only done when it is not working immediately, also for me....

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 58
(5,614 Views)

Hello,

One precision, I read the overall OO manual before did anything and there was not written somewhere that it is wrong to use Spectralsuite and Labview drivers in the same computer! that is my point (since many people face this peoblem as can be see in this forum).

Thank you and best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 58
(5,608 Views)