Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer controller in charge status

I'm trying to use an Instron tensile test frame that has it's own executable software and a HP3458A DMM to record resistance measurements, both on the same GPIB card.  When I start my LabVIEW program that configures the HP meter first, the Instron (Merlin) software will not start, diplaying an error message that it is not the "Controller in Charge".  I thought about using a stacked sequence structure that will start the HP storing data in it's onboard buffer, then passing CIC back to the Instron.  After the Instron routine finishes, I could then resume the LabVIEW program to download the data.  Is this the best way to do it?  How do I pass CIC command to the Instron and maybe back again to the HP meter if necessary?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,889 Views)
It sounds like a valid solution. To pass Controler-in-Charge status, you can use the following GPIB commands:

ibpct (device-level): Pass control to another GPIB device with Controller capability.

PassControl: Pass control to another device with Controller capability.

To gain cotroller status back to the GPIB interface, you can use the "ibsic" command. For more info on the syntex on these commands, please refer to the NI-488.2 Help manual. Also check this KB for an example program.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,872 Views)