From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traditional DAQ Resource Names Support in NI-DMM

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an old application that still uses some NI-DMM resource names with "Traditional DAQ device number" syntax: DAQ::Traditional NI-DAQ device number[::INSTR]

After recently upgrading to Win10 and current versions of DAQmx, IVI, and NI-DMM, I now get an error in initialization:

Error -1074118656 occurred at niDMM Initialize.vi
Possible reason(s):
Error: (Hex 0xBFFA4000) ERROR: Device was not recognized. The device is not supported with this driver or version.
)

I suspect the problem may be the use of the old syntax, but looking at the NI Digital Multimeters Help for the niDMM Initialize VI (I'm using LabVIEW), it states:

Instrument Descriptor contains the resource name of the device to initialize.

The resource name is assigned in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX). Refer to Related Documentation for the NI Digital Multimeters Getting Started Guide for more information about configuring and testing the DMM in MAX. Valid Syntax:

• NI-DAQmx name
  • DAQ::NI-DAQmx name[::INSTR]
  • DAQ::Traditional NI-DAQ device number[::INSTR]
  • IVI logical name

Can anyone confirm for me that this is the problem and that the documentation is wrong? Is there a document or readme somewhere that describes this change in functionality? Is this not really the problem?

Thanks!

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(4,319 Views)

Hi Matt,

Can you verify that the device is actually supported by DAQmx? Converting between Traditional DAQ to DAQmx requires a little bit more work than just upgrading software. What is the device what you are using and what was the version of DAQ you were using previously and the current version? I think the forum post you made mentioned 16.1.0 but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Aulia V.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(4,259 Views)

The device is a PXI-4065 DMM. We have been using the device with NI-DMM and DAQmx for quite some time.

I am not converting the code from Traditional DAQ to DAQmx. I'm just using old software that uses the Traditional DAQ device syntax (DAQ::Traditional NI-DAQ device number[::INSTR]) as an input to NI-DMM VIs.

We were previously using the device with DAQmx 15.1 , IVI 15.0, and NI-DMM 15.0 on Windows 7 x64.

We are currently testing the device with DAQmx 16.0, IVI 16.0, and NI-DMM 16.0 on Windows 10 x64.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(4,253 Views)

Hi Matt,

How does the device show up in NI MAX? Are you able to update the code such that your resource name now matches the syntax that is accepted?

Aulia V.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(4,249 Views)

Hi Aulia,

The device is configured with the name set to the number used as the device number.

We would prefer not to incur the cost of going through a build and test cycle.

I am trying to determine if the old style syntax (which is shown as valid in the current documentation) is the problem and that the documentation is wrong. Are you saying definitively that that is the case?

If so, I would like to know if there is a document or readme somewhere that describes this change in functionality?

If not, I'm interested in other ideas about what might cause the error when updating drivers.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(4,245 Views)

Hi Matt,

The documentation is correct. I talked to some of my colleagues and we would love to see screenshots of what you have in NI MAX as well as what you're inputting into your control. Think you can attach them on here? 

Aulia V.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(4,227 Views)

I've attached screen captures of NI-MAX, and two diagrams and their respective error outputs.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(4,224 Views)

I'll troubleshoot on my end with those specific versions of the driver and OS on a virtual machine. What strikes me as odd is that the driver jump shouldn't have changed drastically. With the 'traditional DAQ' syntax, has it ever worked before? 

Aulia V.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(4,189 Views)

It has been working for more than 10 years. It is only with the upgrade to 15.1 or 16.0 that it stopped working.

I noticed that the NI-DMM versions aren't visible in the MAX screen capture I posted yesterday, so I've attached an updated screen capture.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(4,186 Views)

Upgrade to 15.1 or 16.0? What was the last working version so I can replicate it on my end? 

Sounds like a bug but I want to double check.

Aulia V.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(4,180 Views)