From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To control shutter SC10

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi!

We have thorlabs SC10 optical beam shutter and shutter controller. I was trying to control the shutter with LabView program.  I have attached the program vi.  

What I understand after reading the manual (page 14-16) that the "ens?" will return "0" when the shutter is closed, and "1" if the shutter is open.  However, I am getting always "5".  I am unable to solve the problem. Can you please tell me the way out.

We are using serial to USB converter to connect the controller to the computer.

The manual is available online here:

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 32
(2,326 Views)

Your shutter status indicator is wired to the number of bytes written, not what the shutter is returning as a response.

You need to add a read function after your write to get the data returned by the shutter. Depending on how fast it responds, you may need to put a delay between the write and read operations.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 32
(2,316 Views)

I have tried that and attached the vi. Please have a look.  This time I am getting write counts "5" and read counts "9", no matter if I keep the shutter open or closed.  I applied a delay of 5000ms after the write buffer.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 32
(2,301 Views)

Hi,

sorry but it has been more that a year that I am not tweeking any VI, I am afraid I will not be able to help. I can send a the subVI I am using for my application, but it can only be more obscure as it has been modified and integrated in a huge Labview code. Let me know it you want it though.

Best

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 32
(2,291 Views)

It will be great if you send me the vi....May be I can learn something and solve the problem...It has been for a few days that this problem is bothering me.

thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 32
(2,286 Views)

This is Jeremy from Thorlabs.  Can you send an e-mail to techsupport@thorlabs.com please?  Can you also save your VI for LabVIEW 2011 please?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 32
(2,280 Views)

Hi Jeremy!

I have uploaded the 2011 version of the vi.  The thorlab technical support is very nice and  working on it but they nee bit longer time.  Since I stuck for a while for this shutter, therefore I posted in the forum.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 32
(2,275 Views)

Hello, I'm in same problem with you...

Did you solve that problem? If so, Please tell me how can I solve it..

Thank you for reading my message and I really want to solve it..

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 32
(2,158 Views)

I have attached the vi from thorlabs.  This will definitely solve the problem.  You may customize it according to your application. 

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 32
(2,154 Views)

sorry I forgot to mention that you have set the baud rate to 9600, else it will not work.  If you have further question please let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 32
(2,153 Views)