Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout problems with standard pc serial port

Hello,
I am trying to write a program which sends command strings (like VER or MODE) to a RS-232C device. The device should give an appropriate answer to this command. Unfortunally I get timeout errors when LabVIEW tries to read the serial port (until now I tested it with the "Serial Communication VI" from the Hardware In- and Output Examples). The serial port seems to be OK because I worked through the "Serial Communication STarting Point"-Tutorial and there was no fault. The cable which connects the two devices seems also to be OK. When I send the commands mentioned above to the device (with a terminal program) I get the correct answer. What can I else do to communicate with the device within Labview 6.1 for Linux?

Th
anks in advance,

Armin Herzer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,797 Views)
Hi,

You can check the operation of the serial port by doing a loopback test. It seems that you already done it. Just checking.

Timeout errors usually reflect a problem on the write operation. Specifically the command set. Most of the time the problem is that the command sent does not include the termination character. Refer to the device's documentation to determine what termination character is used. It is usually '\n' (line feed).

Hope this helps.

DiegoF
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,797 Views)