From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout expired before operation completed. VISA error code -1073807339 (0xBFFF0015)

Hello,

I am a new user. Actually, I want to control pulse generator (Quantum Composers 9000 series) with LabView. i have already downloaded its driver online and now facing this time out error 1073807339. The virtual USB COM port is visible in the MAX as well as device manager. At the moment, i could perform VISA WRITE command which tells the return count of the data entered. I am using simple VI fo initialzing it, configuring the channels and then closing the VI all using the available VI's for Quantum Composers.

Could there be some issues with the USB port drivers as well?

How to solve this problem and to start toubleshooing?

Kindly have a look at the attached images.

Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,098 Views)

You are not allowing the instrument enough time to do whatever those subVIs are telling it to do.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,084 Views)

So what could the remedy for it? some time delay?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,082 Views)
You could have any number of things wrong. The com port might not be set correctly. You might not even have the instrument connected.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,061 Views)

Yes! now i see that the instrument hasnot been connected! it should be displaying there but only the usb com port3 is visible not the name of the instrument itself. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,058 Views)
No, it's not supposed to show there. No serial instrument will. My point is that you could have the wrong type of serial cable.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,053 Views)

If your instrument is connected to COM3, then use COM3 and run.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,043 Views)

@dennis,

The cable is USB cable i am using is USB A to USB B type typically used for pulse genartors. The instrument name is not showing whenever i connect it with PC in device manager, only it shows COM3 as port. Should i re-install NI VISA and update it from there?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,019 Views)

@crossrulz

It doesn't work with COM3 port

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,018 Views)
As I said, the instrument name is NOT supposed to be shown anywhere. You show Com3 and that is enough. Reinstalling VISA is just silly.

What troubleshooting have you done? Have you tried a program such as hyperterminal, putty, etc?. Have you verified the port settings? It appears the initialize function only allows for setting the baud rate. Check the other settings in the VI and compare to the instrument. I mentioned that you should check the cable. Do you know the two different types of cables and how they are different?

There have hundreds and hundreds of posts on timeout issues. Have you looked at any of them?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,010 Views)