Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TekVISA and LabVIEW GPIB conflict

I'm using TekVISA to dependably communicate with a Tektronix scope via the ethernet. When installing TekVISA I was prompted to either replace NIVISA or leave it and opted to leave it. I'm also trying to communicate with a GPIB instrument (old HP8175A) using a normal PCI card. TekVISA configuration wants to load itself and find all instruments (LAN and GPIB). That seems fine, but I can communicate with the GPIB instrument only occasionally through Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAE). MAE finds the instrument at the correct address but I usually can't query. Most often I get a timeout. And sometimes after this timeout I'll go back to the TekVISA configuration and, unlike before, it can't see the GPIB instrument. When I am able to communicate with it through MAE -- I can't reproduce the conditions! -- I'm off and running with my programming.

Could it be a conflict between TekVISA and MAE?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,577 Views)
It might be possible that TekVISA is conflicting with NI-VISA. Normally only one version of VISA can be installed on a system, however newer versions of HP-VISA, and from what it sounds like Tek-VISA can be installed as a secondary VISA to NI-VISA.

It might be possible though that this is causing the problems you are describing. The good news is that you can use NI-VISA to communicate with your Tektronix scope via the Ethernet. In the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) right click on Devices and Interfaces and select Create New>VISA TCP/IP Resource. This KnowledgeBase might provide some more information on this topic.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,540 Views)
And what about controlling a GPIB instrument connected to an Agilent LAN/GPIB gateway? can I do something like what you exposed?? Thanks in advance...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,392 Views)
If I remember right I believe the Agilent LAN/GPIB gateway is a VXI-11 instrument. So you should be able to follow the same steps described in the document linked above to communicate with your instruments.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,373 Views)