From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDS3014 freezes if does not receive trigger

I am using the tktds3k instrument driver for the TDS3000 family of Tektronix scopes. I use a TDS3014B scope. After preparing the scope for an acquisition (for instance with the Getting Started VI) if the scope fails to receive a trigger within the specified VISA timeout period (for instance if the trigger level is set too high), it will not perform the acquisition and come back with a VISA Timeout error. Afterwards it is impossible to communicate further with the instrument. Every VI will come back with a VISA TimeOut error (even impossible to reset it) until the "run/stop" button is physically pushed on the instrument (difficult to do if the instrument is at a remote location...).
I know this driver is probably not supporte
d, but just in case if someone can answer my question...

Bruno Paillard
Director R&D
D-Box Technology
email: bruno.paillard@d-box.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,184 Views)
Bruno,
I have a 5000 series scope at my desk - hopefully at least one of these ideas might help on a 3000.

I was able to disarm the scope by...
1. sending a reset command or running "Reset" VI (though it was destructive to my current settings)
2. running the "Force Trigger" VI
3. running the "Set Acquisition StopAfter Mode" VI with "stop after mode" enumeration set to "RunStop" (same as pressing button)

I didn't try this but you can also programmatically set the trigger mode from "Norm" to "Auto" to get the scope in a more communicative (less armed) state.

Good luck!

Bart C
National Instruments
Bart
LabVIEW R&D
Message 2 of 2
(3,184 Views)