Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System crash in VB using Win2000, Win98 is ok...?

Hi there,

my VB6 Program using the NI GPIB-32.dll crashes the whole system under Win2000 Prof. randomly, i cannot identify a special DLL call which causes the crash.
After the error occured, the system "stands" which means you can't even start the Task Manager and no "blue sceen" appears, the system simply stops. This is the reason i guess that this is a hardware error. I' using a PCI-GPIB board. The funny thing is that the program runs under the same PC system using Windows 98 without problems. I updated the Mainboards Bios, tried NI488.2 Versions 1.7 and 2.1, changed the gpibpci.sys (posted somewhere here) but the system crash is still there...soes anyone have an idea...?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,321 Views)
This sounds like a ACPI (Power Save Mode) Problem.
Probably the computer enters the power save mode and this causes the error.
Try to disable all power save options.
If this doesn´t help please write the error message you got.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,320 Views)
Hi Dirk,

thank you for your reply.

I read somewhere here on the discussion forum about the ACPI mode but i have no idea where to disable this mode in Windows 2000 and configure to Standard-PC Mode. Could you explain this to me or send me a link to a description ? I do not get any message because the PC justs stops, no Taskmanager, no more input by keyboard or mouse is possible, only the Reset button can solve this problem. The NI Spy in failsave mode in the background also has no effect. I open the device (a DMM) correctly and so some measurements (read and write) in different modes (Volts/ Amps) and even on the first run of the program after a few seconds the crash happens. The program code is okay because it runs problem-free under Win98.

Regards,

PF
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,320 Views)
yes, because it runs with WIN 98 without problems, i came to the ACPI comment.
First you should try to disable all power save option in the screen saver configuration window. There you can configure the PC as a Desktop PC . Disable sleep mode.
Be sure to have SP 4 installed for WIn 2000.
If it does not help, you should contact the NI Support.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,320 Views)
Hello again,

the problem is still there even after disabling the ACPI ocnfiguration and all Power Save Options.

The problem must be a incompatibility between Windows 2000 and the NI Card. Maybe the special configuration of NI board and Mainboard X Drivers for Windows 2000 causes this problem. But looking at all the postings makes me think that i am not the only one having Problems with NI Products and Windows 2000.... The only solution at the moment is to keep Win98 on my system.

Thanks again,

PF
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,320 Views)
Please contact NI by phone.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,320 Views)