From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Startech Windows 7 64 bit Issue

Hello all,

I have a Startech.com PCIe RS 232 Serial adapter card (PEX2S553). When using this card on a 32-bit Windows XP machine I can read and write data with no issue. (2.3 MB  at 300 bytes per second. No read or write fails.) When I install this card on any Windows 7 64-bit machine it will run for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes and then the write will time out. Solutions tried so far with the same results:

2 different Windows 7 machines

Verified the 6- bit drivers were installed.

Vairous baud rates (38400 default)

Various time in between writes (3 bytes at 100Hz typical)

Various timeouts (15ms up to 150 ms)

What I don't have is a 32-bit Windows 7 machine to try this card out on so I am have trouble deciding exactly what the issue may be. Has anyone else seen similar issue with Startech products?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,795 Views)

@John1994 wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Startech.com PCIe RS 232 Serial adapter card (PEX2S553). When using this card on a 32-bit Windows XP machine I can read and write data with no issue. (2.3 MB  at 300 bytes per second. No read or write fails.) When I install this card on any Windows 7 64-bit machine it will run for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes and then the write will time out. Solutions tried so far with the same results:

2 different Windows 7 machines

Verified the 6- bit drivers were installed.

Vairous baud rates (38400 default)

Various time in between writes (3 bytes at 100Hz typical)

Various timeouts (15ms up to 150 ms)

What I don't have is a 32-bit Windows 7 machine to try this card out on so I am have trouble deciding exactly what the issue may be. Has anyone else seen similar issue with Startech products?

What does Startech have to do with National Instruments????

Go talk to them.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,790 Views)

@nyc_(is_out_of_here) wrote:

What does Startech have to do with National Instruments????

Go talk to them.

I have also tried compling the executables using NI LabVIEW 2014 64-bit with the latest device drivers and NI VISA 14.0. Since I am trying to use this card via a LabVIEW application I thought it was worth a quick check.

Thank you for the advice nyc. I never would have thought to contact the manufacturer without your helpful tidbit of information.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,785 Views)