Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something wrong after reinstalling the OS XP.

Hi, I hope someone can help me out.

I am a student in a lab. We have a computer hooked up with some instruments to measure the resistivity using Van der Pauw method. What we have are: 1. KEITHLEY 7001 SWITCH SYSTEM; 2 KEITHLEY 2002 MULTIMETER; 3. KEITHLEY 220 PROGRAMMABLE CURRENT SOURCE; 4. KEITHLEY 617 PROGRAMMABLE ELECTROMETER. We have a GPIB card to connect the instruments with the desktop. We used to have LabVIEW 4.1 and we wrote a program to do the measurements. Recently the computer was hacked and we have to reinstall the OS according to the university policy. Then we installed a LabVIEW 7.1 on this computer. Of course, I saved all the data and sub-VIs and copied them back on the computer. We also installed the driver for the GPIB card. Now I have a problem. The KEITHLEY 7001 SWITCH is okay. The KEITHLEY 220 CURRENT SOURCE also works well, because I can see the current I selected on the display. However, the KEITHLEY 617 ELECTROMETER and/or the KEITHLEY 2002 MULTIMETER couldn't give anything. The reading on the ELECTROMETER is some noise value. It was .0037 nA, while the desired value should be 10 mA. When the remote switched the channel, the ELECTROMETER said "bErr". I don't know what that means. I cannot figure it out. Can you guys give me some idea?
I only reinstalled the Windows XP. I didn't touch the instruments. I am thinking about some possibilities:
1. The LabVIEW 7.1 cannot run the program written by 4.1 properly.
2. The sub-VIs I copied back don't work, even though it can be loaded when I start the program.
3. I didn't pull out the GPIB card and just simply installed the driver. Should I take out the card, install the driver and put it back? Could this sequence cause some trouble?
I am very upset about this. I don't have too much experience with these. I am still learning. Please give me some help. Thank you very very much.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,972 Views)
I just tried to update the driver for the GPIB card. I downloaded the driver from NI.COM. I removed the old PCI-GPIB interface, pulled out the GPIB card, installed the driver, and put the card back on the mainboard. Still I had the same problem. I checked on KEITHLEY.com. The error info "bErr" means "Bus Error". How did it come? I don't know. Now I am thinking if I should just go back to the old LabVIEW 4.0, but I don't see where to uninstall the LabVIEW 7.0 I have on the computer now. Did I miss something?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,962 Views)
Fyan,

an upgrade from 4.x to 7.1 is quite a huge step and might create some problems. Don't know if one or two intermediate steps would solve this. I could offer a recompilation of your old 4.x VIs with 6.0.

Your bus error is probably some misbehaviour of the driver for this instrument, as some other onstruments on the very same bus operate OK. So it is probably a timing problem or so. You may try to gather an updated driver from Keithley.

Going back to 4.x is not so easy, as you had to uninstall not only LabVIEW, but all those intermediate APIs like VISA, IVI, NIDAQ, DAQmx ... too. But if you are just interested in running your existing SW, it might be worth a try.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,956 Views)