Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow startup after installing NI488.2

I recently installed NI488.2 on my Windows 7 machine.  After the installation the startup has gone from one minute to 20 minutes.  When I uninstalled the software the startup went back to one minute.  Can I have both fast startup and use of the software?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,532 Views)

Hi dolson,

What version of 488.2 did you install? Where did you install the software from?

Sunayna R.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,508 Views)

I installed version 15.5.0 from this NI web site.  By the discription it should have been compatible with my computer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,505 Views)

Hi dolson,

What version of Windows are you running? You can check your system compatibility on the readme file: http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//gpib/Windows/15.0/ReadMe.html

Sunayna R.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,456 Views)

Thank you for taking time on this issue.

I am running Windows 7 Professional on an HP Elitgebook 8470, 2.4 GHz processor and 16 GB ram. 

I have had the same problem now on a second computer also running Windows 7 Professional.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,452 Views)

Hi dolson,

Do you have any external devices or cards (i.e. ExpressCard) connected to your laptop during start up? Also, are there any NI products in the startup folder after installation? You can check the folder at this location: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Sunayna R.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,430 Views)

There are no external devices or cards connected to this computer aat startup.  There is nothing in the startup menu following the User path.  There is an NI ErrorReporting program in the Windows start up folder.  Could this be the source of the delay and is it necessary?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,402 Views)

Hi dolson,

I don't think that is the source of the error, but it's worth trying to remove that and seeing what happens.

Also, this article may be of use to you: http://ae.natinst.com/public.nsf/webPreview/814FEF952915137686257B6B006C5F4F?OpenDocument -- let me know if you have any success with the steps in that article.

Sunayna R.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,379 Views)