From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Actuation Pulse to an analog device

Dear LabView Community, 

I am relatively new to LabView and I have a simple task I am tyring to accomplish. I have outlined what I have so far: 

TASK: To use LabView to send a 5V actuation signal (via a DAQ; NI USB-6008) to an instrument (a controller for a small pump). All I want to do is to eliminate the need for manually pressing a button ("foot pedal") on the instrument to make it run, by automating the process such that LabView is sending the start signal to the instrument as I specify in my code.

INFO:

At the back of the instrument, there is are two slots + and - for me to attach jumper cables to. These two slots are under the "INIT" lable which stands for initiate. When a voltage (voltage difference, to be precise) of 5 to 20 volts is supplied to these terminal, it initiates the instrument to "run a cycle" with the pump it is attached to. 

WHAT I KNOW:

I need to create a simple code wherein LabView sends a 5V signal via the DAQ (through one of the analog output channels) to the instrument when I hit the "start" button. (Being a total beginner, even this simple task seems hard!)

If anyone can provide a high level set of steps I can follow for this, I would really appreciate it. A similar example or a template would be awesome!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,990 Views)
Don't use an analog output. Use one of the digital lines. Use the DAQmx create Channel function to select the digital line and then a DAQmx write of a Boolean 1 sample 1 channel. Open Help> Find Examples> Hardware Input and Output. Use the test panel in MAX first. A DAQ Assistant can also be used.
Message 2 of 2
(3,980 Views)