Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set addresses of identical DAQ devices

Thanks everyone. I am going to measure first and depending on what I measure I will name the channels accordingly.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(2,410 Views)

I do not use any hard coded Device Names like "Dev1" in my code.

My code could careless what MAX has for a name.

I will use the "DAQmx System" Property Node "DevNames" to retrieve an array of DAQ devices on my system. Then go through the list and figure out which one is which by the device names and other properties.

I use a Reference "Action Engine VI" find and store and retrieve the device references. 

If I have two of the same device type then I have to do something like crossrulz suggested or depending on the testset figure out which is which by some trial and error.

Or create some type of setup function that is ran the first time or when devices are replaced instructing the user to plug in or power up the devices in order one at a time as the code locates the devices and stores what it finds in an ini file.

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(2,415 Views)

Thanks for reply. I don't have an option for try&error. I am deploying an installer to multiple test stations in MFG floor.

I learned a lesson here not to use USB devices for mfg test station.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(2,409 Views)

@mchips wrote:

I am going to measure first and depending on what I measure I will name the channels accordingly.

That is the try&error option.

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(2,402 Views)

ok. what I meant was try & error of manual set-up process. All have to be done programmatically.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(2,396 Views)

Programmatically locating devices does not just apply to USB devices. I do the same for GPIB, PXI and RS232 devices.

I deploy test sets to our manufacturing locations in South America and Asia.

When they swap out a meter for cal and if my software can figure out which is which, it saves me a phone call and translation.

Did they swap COM ports. Get the correct GPIB address. Even PXI devices that are swapped, do not always map to old device name.

Most of our tech on the mfg floor do not know what MAX is.

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(2,392 Views)