From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial string log with timestamp

Hello Everyone,

I made a Pressure calibrator which continously sends data to pc via UART at an interval selected by user, now we are displaying it on hyper terminal, however I want to design a Labview program which will take this data and log it in excel. I was able to send numeric character in labview group them together and display on a Guage, however the Data format now for eg. is '+150.10mmWC ' followed by CR and NL., if the pressure is 150.10 mm of water column. Can you point me some sources where I will get info to log these incoming strings as it is in excel file along with their time stamp so I can read up on them.
Thank You.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,338 Views)

Look in the File IO palette.  You will find functions in there for opening and closing a file and for writing.  You will want the Write Text File.  Also study the String palette.  The Format Into String may be of particular interest to you here.

What I'm recommending here is that you don't write a xls file, but a CSV (comma seperated values).  It is a text file format that uses a comma to seperate channels.  Excel can open up a CSV file with not problem.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,336 Views)