From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial communication

When I send characters out over the serial link in LABView 7.1 ( using VISA) are they treated the same way as if I used a Hyperterminal ?? Is the command "dw 0x80000" ( dump a word at address hex 8000)at the serial interface converted to the same ( ascii)characters whether I use Hyperterm or VISA? The processor doesn't seem to understand the cmd when I use LV7.1 but does w Hyperterm.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,694 Views)
VISA and Hyperterminal send the same characters. What might be different is the communication parameters (i.e. baud rate, parity, etc.) or you might not be sending a termination character. See if the processor needs a LF or CR at the end of the command in order to process it. If it does, add the control character to the end of your string. You can do this by using the concantanate string function and the character from the string palette or using a VISA Property node (i.e. VISA Configure Serial Port) to automatically add a term character to each write.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,694 Views)