Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Write error -1073807339

I have an application running in LabView 2010.  It has been running flawlessly for 3 years. It polls two devices via RS485 and RS232 then logs and displays the results. I recently moved the computer and it was working OK until 2 weeks ago.  Now I get an error -1073807339 when attempting a serial write using a 4 port PCI-232 card.

1) Card is functioning properly

a) I can send commands though the "connect to instrument" option for the appropriate port listed in NI-DAQ and the instrument responds.

2) The cabling is fine - I can see the data transmission at the controller (as far down the cabling as possible) using an ocilloscope

3) RS-485 communications in the same code using a PCI-485/2  is still working

4) Error seems to be arrising from VISA assignment, but its odd since it has been fine until now.

5) I even get the error when I use a simple write command with no response expected.

6) The computer's new location has no internet.  Its been offline for 6 months. Does this version need periodic contacts with NI to retain functionality?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,122 Views)

Hello Rgblair,

Regarding the error message, I have found this Knowledge Base article on the explanation of the error and possible actions to perform:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/874B379E24C0A0D686256FCF007A6EA0?OpenDocument

I would try to make different tests to assure the 100% functionality of the instrument. This error refers mainly to timeouts on the operation so start by attacking the issue on this perspective.

The connection to the internet shouldn't be a factor on this application. 

Regards,

David M.

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,088 Views)

@rgblair wrote:

I have an application running in LabView 2010.  It has been running flawlessly for 3 years. It polls two devices via RS485 and RS232 then logs.

<sea storry time = TRUE>

At a former client I was asked to troubleshoot a manufacturing process control system that had reported an error.  resolve the error the program may continue.

A serial device logged some conditions to a file.

after three year of flawless running the file exceeded 2GB   OOPS! How does aa 32 bit OS write to a file that big?  It does not. 60kUSD of raw material was scrap and not product.

<Sea storry time= End>

check you log file size

That being said a large log file size should not cause a timeout error in VISA if proper error handling is in place.  

"Flawlessly until two weeks ago" may indicate a memory leak--- but not above LabVIEW 7.0 and you have 2010

Did some other app grab the resource? VISA interactive, hyperterminal? Putty? That would cause a TMO Error from a LabVIEW VISA Read every time.  Did you install another VISA over NI VISA?, that could cause it too.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,052 Views)