Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Query and USB-Serial Adapters

Transferring serial device from old (functioning) computer to new. 

(Old) Computer A:  

Labview V14.0.1f3 (Service Pack 1)

NI-VISA 1401 full

(New) Computer B:  

Labview V14.0f1

NI-VISA 5.20

NI-SERIAL 15.00

1) Computer A can control device motion and obtain position readout with established labview code.

2) Both computers can control device motion and query position through a non-labview command terminal.

3) Neither computer can control device motion through Measurement & Automation Explorer

4) Computer B crashes when running VISA Configure Serial Port 

5) All settings for VISA Configure Serial Port are the same on both computers.

6) The only discrepancy is communication through COM1 on Computer A and COM10 on Computer B. 

7) Via a USB-Serial converter, both computers can send commands through established Labview code, but cannot query the device position. 

Can you help me determine the source of this problem? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,037 Views)
Why does your new computer have an older version of VISA? Upgrading to the latest (or at least to be the same) is a pretty obvious first step.

What USB-Serial converter are you using? NI-Serial is only for devices from them.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,035 Views)

My mistake. Computer B has NI-VISA 1401.

The USB-Serial converter is TRIPP-LITE brand. However, this same problem persists with other USB-Serial adapters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,022 Views)
How does the computer crash? Any error messages in either MAX or LabVIEW? What's your os? What driver is the converter using (i.e. ftdi or prolific)?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,017 Views)

1) Error 17, not enough memory to manipulate image. Followed by VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

2) OS Windows 7 64-bit

3) No information about driver converter. Manual says nothing. Any tips on how to determine?

Thank you Dennis.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,986 Views)
Windows Device Manager will tell you the driver and version.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,979 Views)

Driver_Details.png

Driver Provider: KSPN

Driver Version: 3.7.0.5

Driver Key:  {4d36e978-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0009

I feel like this is not the information you're requesting, but I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,970 Views)
No, that's what I was asking about. I was mostly curious whether it was prolific which I haven't had good luck with and which have known counterfeits. I've had good luck with ftdi so perhaps you could try a different converter if you have one.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,966 Views)

By re-assigning the USB-Serial adapter to COM1, I made it work! However, assigning the USB-Serial adapter to any other COM port yields the same problems. This is an issue since I want to connect two COM devices. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,918 Views)