From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Port of Microsoft

Hello,

I have a program in LabVIEW which read from the serial Port.
I would like to know the name of the memory where is saved the information from the serial port in the Operating System of Microsoft and where LabVIEW reads the information.

I would be very glad if somebody could help me in this topic.

Ramon
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,956 Views)
Ramon,

you are on the wrong track here. This is completely hidden to the end user and/or application programs. This is necessary, because in multitasking OS it would take much too long for application programs to react to direct HW interrupts as they are used in serial communication. Long words meaning is: Let LabVIEW handle all this stuff. Just open the serial port, configure it, send some text to it and/or read strings from it. Close the port when you are done. Its that simple in first hand!
It might become more complicated when communication protocols and protocol error handling comes into play, but this is beyond you actual Q.

Hope this helps!
Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,950 Views)
Hello,

you may be able to use shared memory to achieve what you are asking for. LabVIEW has the In Port and Out Port functions, which allow to write and read from memory.
I've seen examples that use this to manage the parallel port. You can see the address assigned to the ports on the Device Administrator (Administrador de Dispositivos), on the Ports section (i.e. in my PC, COM1 uses the 0x03F8 to 0x03FF range).
If you are still interested, I would do a search on the ni web for examples on those Port functions.

Another approach would be to use the Windows API, for which you can find the whole API reference here:
www.msdn.microsoft.com

Regards,

Jorge M.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,887 Views)