From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scientific Atlanta GPIB Programmable Positioner

Hi,

I am starting to work with a Programmable Positioner Module, which will controll an 4-Axis Antenna Positioner. The model is:

'2012A Programmable Positioner Controller'
Scientific Atlanta (nowadays called MI-Technologies)

It was bought on the late 80's and the communication system available is GPIB (IEEE-488). So, I would like to ask, if some of you have already worked with this or other simillar devices from Scientific Atlanta. I didn't find any drivers at the Instrument Driver Network and this company doesn't have an official webpage with client support.

Best Regards,

Telmo Santos
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,845 Views)
I'm sitting down to do this right now; I noticed you posted in 2005 so did you come up with a driver for the 2012?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,635 Views)

Hello,

I also have searched for a GPIB command reference document but could not find it anywhere.

Has anybody have a pdf of command reference or a driver?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,167 Views)

count me in.  I think I will build a driver myself.  MI positioners use sicp so it doesnt support VISA  I think.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,966 Views)

VISA is a busprotocol independent of the contents of the commands.

SCPI is the syntax of the contents so it can be used and is used in many visa based drivers.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,961 Views)

Sorry for the confusion.  You are right

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,959 Views)

no problem, it took 30 years to have some things in order. Still a lot to learn.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,954 Views)

Did you ever build the drivers for the 2012A?  I am looking at using the same positioner and anything out there could help!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,858 Views)

The link is broken. Appreciate if you can update the link. I too am looking for GPIB commands for the MI Technologies (formerly Scientific Atlanta) positioner control equipment. Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,634 Views)