Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMC100pp rotation stage

Hello,

I am trying to program a Newport SMC100PP controller to run a Newport TRA6PPD linear actuator to move a Newport 481 rotation stage.

My goal with this program is to have the stage move at a slow velocity form designated point 1 to point 2 while reading out the absolute position.

The program that i have written is having a problem. Every time i try and run the program i get an "Error on reset - Timeout" error and the light on the front panel of the SMC100pp controller reads solid green as if the system is ready to go.

In the code below i have the top part which simply reads the motor position and time and saves that to a txt file. The top part is necessary because it is a reduced set of code for the rest of an instrument i want to incorporate this rotation stage into. The bottom code is my program where i am trying to 1st initialize the step motor, 2nd enter/modify controller velocity on command part way through a larger experiment once i see some preliminary data and 3rd execute the programed controller movement on command as the last part of a larger experiment to finish the experiment.

Included below is my labview error message, picture of the program and the program vi.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,443 Views)

Hello Shike,

As you are using a library or VIs that are provdided or created by the Newport company it seems, you need to contact them and verify the conditions needed for Reset to be executed correctly.

RIght now you are getting a timeout that may refer to a VI not given the sufficient time to execute or a similar condition.

Please contact Newport support about this controller and the VI's.

Regards,

David M.

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,407 Views)

Thank You david for the reply,

The individualt vi's utalized in my vi are from newport.

I contactated the Newport motion control experta and they agree that the problem is most likely the vi does not have sufficient time to execute. Unfortunatly Newport support does not help debug code so i am wondering how to add time to the code? Does this mean i need to place a flat sequence with wait.vi components or do i need to move to a timed sequence structure?

Thank You again for your help

Max

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,383 Views)
Once you find out which subVI is creating the error, you can use a wait (ms) inside of a sequence structure or simply use the Time Delay function which has error in/out connections. The Timed Sequence would not be necessary.

Have you done any basic debugging to verify that you actually have a valid serial connection? Simply adding a delay will do no good if the com port connection is incorrect. A terminal emulation program such as putty or MAX can be used to send/receive commands.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,375 Views)

Yes,

I am able to get a connection with the newport gui and the simple controle.vi provided by newport. I am confident that the system is comunicating with the unit. My trouble starts when i try and expand the smple controle.vi.

Max

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,340 Views)

Found an error while loading the VI. You have used a subvi called Simple Control controller.vi which, I could not find in the directory. Can you share that sub vi file, where we can find them? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,923 Views)

Dear Anubhab04,

I dont remember anymore where i originally found all the labview .llb files though i am uploading everything that i have.The way i solved my problem was to copy the Virtual Front Panel into my program and start cutting out function that i did not need.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,914 Views)