Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SERIAL PORT

I have a LV that is designed to RUN on a parallel port. Can it RUN on a serial port? Is parallel port and serial port the same thing?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,900 Views)
No, serial port and parallel port is not the same thing.
See e.g. this link to learn about the differences:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/serial-port.htm

If you have a .vi that works on the parallel port, it won't work on serial port without incorporating changes. The extent of the necessary changes will depend on whether the .vi uses VISA or not.

m,-
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,894 Views)
Do all PC's have a parallel port? Can a parallel port be added to a PC? Can a serial port in a PC be modified to a parallel port?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,883 Views)

@labview1958 wrote:
Do all PC's have a parallel port? Can a parallel port be added to a PC? Can a serial port in a PC be modified to a parallel port?

Szandard IBM-compatible PC do have a parallel port. But is became obsolete in recent years. A parallel port was usually be used to connect a printer - it ís also known as printer port. With modern printers being connected by other means this port is often no longer availabel.
There are several ways to add a parallel port, if non is availabel. Either buy a parallel card and install it. Or buy a USB/parallel-adapter (for example here: http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/up6c/). And finally there are some Ethernet/parallel adapters or print servers, but these may be overload.

No, serial and parallel ports are functional totally different, they cannot be modified to each other.

Greetings from Germany!
--
Uwe
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,880 Views)
My PC has a PRINTER port. How do I confirm that it is a parallel port? Can I RUN a LV that is designed to RUN on a parallel port by disconnecting the printer and attaching the NEW equipment? Or do I need to completly reconfigure? I have a LV for running a stepper from parallel port.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,861 Views)
The terms printer port and parallel port are used interchangably. If your printer is working, that pretty much confirms that it's a parallel port. I think the link has been given to you before but here is an app note on the parallel port and LabVIEW. Pay attention to the note on connecting pins 11 and 12 to ground. The other think you'll have to know is what pins on the parallel port you have to connect to the stepper. I hope that information is documented in the VI you got.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,856 Views)
There is no PARALLEL port symbol in the functions palette. Someone told me use the SERIAL port symbol. According to her both serial port and parallel port are interchangeable. If there is no symbol what shall I do?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,785 Views)
I think you should check this link to get an understanding of LabVIEW parallel port communication options. The symbol I think you're talking about is VISA Read and VISA Write and ye, it can also be used to communicate with the parallel port.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,768 Views)