Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resource name for NI 9472 in NI cDAQ-9171

I am trying find the resource name of NI 9472,  NI cDAQ-9171 connected by USB, to be able to control it using VISA. It shows up in NI-MAX in "devices and interfaces" and I can control it using the "Test panels" option. However, when I go to VISA Interactive control I cannot find it there.
Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,941 Views)

Hi! 

May I ask, why do you want to use VISA with this devices?

They have their own driver to make them compatible with Labview and Labwindows CVI.

It is called DAQmx, its an API used to control DAQ devices from National Intruments. And, its free 🙂

"everything is achieveable through technology'
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,939 Views)

I need to use Igor pro

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,937 Views)

In any case the resource name should be the one that you see under NI MAX. 

For example. "Dev 1" or "cDAQ1"

"everything is achieveable through technology'
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,929 Views)

I still have trouble connecting to the device using VISA. I am trying to open it using the string name I see on NI MAX (tried both "cDAQ1" and "cDAQ1Mod1") but I get a "0xBFFF0011 (VI_ERROR_RSRC_NFOUND), Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system."

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,900 Views)
It's not a device you can use with VISA unless you obtain the low level USB protocol from NI (unlikely) and completely wrote your own driver for it (unlikely). Why do you think you can simply use a resource name and have it work?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,885 Views)
P.S. Your own link has a discussion of their DAQ tool. That is what you should have read and what you have to use.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,883 Views)