From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reboot while communicating over GPIB

I have a fairly simple program to control an Alessi 6100 scope using GPIB (PCI-GPIB). It seems to work ok, but randomly while its working, the whole computer will just reboot and when it starts up again, I get a message saying "The system recovered from a serious error" and spits out the following codes

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : F79FB536 BCP3 : F7A56C60
BCP4 : F7A56960 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1

Now, I do two different things with the program. One involves moving the scope infrequently (Once every ~8min) and the other moves the scope frequently (Once per second). When moving the scope infrequently, everything's fine, and I can leave it running for over a day without any problems. When I move the scope more often though, it only lasts about 5-10min before it crashes.

I think I'm using the newest drivers (NI-488.2 2.30, VISA 3.1), so I don't think that's the problem. The basic idea of the program works fine on other systems: I've been using an older version of my program to control an Alessi 2500 and move it once every quarter second without any problems. I've just run into trouble with the new scope and different computer.

Just so you know some important history, there was a time on this system where it constantly rebooted (before I could even log into the computer), because nipalk.sys was corrupted, and I've seen other people have this problem too, but I think I fixed that by re-installing the newest drivers. Although if there are remenants left behind when that happens, they could be causing the problem, and I'd love to hear how to completely clean the NI drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a NI-Spy log, although it looks pretty normal, so I don't know if it will be any help. (I had to rename it to a .txt file so your forum would accept it, so you'll have to rename it to a .spy file yourself)

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,694 Views)
Ah, as it turns out, the problem is with a capture device I'm using, not any National Instruments device. Sorry to bug you!!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,690 Views)