NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ssett
0 Kudos

Reading data from Mitutoyo Digimatic Indicator and Chatillon Force Gage.

Hello,

I am a beginner-intermediate LV user and I want to read data from a mitutoyo digimatic indicator via a RS-232 to USB converter on to a laptop installed with LV 8.0. I am encountering problems finding the correct instrument drivers ( I have found one from Mitutoyo (mitmig4), but it seems like it's for intermediate hardware). I also want to read in data from a Chatillon Force Gage also via RS-232/USB converter. There seems to be no drivers for this and it looks like I may have to tinker with the existing LV 8.0 properties to recognize the force gage. My main questions are: how can I setup the input for the digimatic indicator with the correct drivers and what sort of VI's can I use to make my laptop recognize the Chatillon device? Thank you in advance.

-ssett

Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
0 Kudos

Re: Reading data from Mitutoyo Digimatic Indicator and Chatillon Force Gage.

[ Edited ]

Get the programming manual for these instruments and find out what are their RS232 command sets.

Knight of NI
Dennis_Knutson
0 Kudos

There are no VIs that will recognize a serial instrument. If the com ports are shown in MAX, then that is all that you need in order to start programming. I would suggest using a third-party terminal emulation program such a Hyperterminal, Procomm, etc before trying any LabVIEW code.

Trusted Enthusiast
Henrik_Volkers
0 Kudos

Some of these devices need a 'special' type of rs232 connection. I remember building a set of connector cables that needed a 10k pullup resistor and some handshaking lines hardwired.

Additionally the RTS line needed to be set to supply the open collector Tx of the gage .... wasn't well documented , they wanted to sell the adaptor :smileywink:

I attached my serial 'swiss army nife'  I made to play around with serial ... It allow you to assert or unassert the control lines on the fly , however changing the serial parameters on the fly was never implemented...

If you have a working software  portmon (a serial sniffer) is nice to see what the driver is doing.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'
Trusted Enthusiast
AnalogKid2DigitalMan
0 Kudos

For my Mitutoyo Linear Digimatic ID-H0530 I send it GA00\r, it replies with GN00,+0032.2545\r\n.

Like Dennis said, you can usually find the communication commands in the manual or the leaflet included with the instrument.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~