Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading data from Mitutoyo Digimatic Indicator and Chatillon Force Gage.

Hello,

I am a beginner-intermediate LV user and I want to read data from a mitutoyo digimatic indicator via a RS-232 to USB converter on to a laptop installed with LV 8.0. I am encountering problems finding the correct instrument drivers ( I have found one from Mitutoyo (mitmig4), but it seems like it's for intermediate hardware). I also want to read in data from a Chatillon Force Gage also via RS-232/USB converter. There seems to be no drivers for this and it looks like I may have to tinker with the existing LV 8.0 properties to recognize the force gage. My main questions are: how can I setup the input for the digimatic indicator with the correct drivers and what sort of VI's can I use to make my laptop recognize the Chatillon device? Thank you in advance.

-ssett

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,652 Views)

Get the programming manual for these instruments and find out what are their RS232 command sets.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,650 Views)

There are no VIs that will recognize a serial instrument. If the com ports are shown in MAX, then that is all that you need in order to start programming. I would suggest using a third-party terminal emulation program such a Hyperterminal, Procomm, etc before trying any LabVIEW code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,644 Views)

Some of these devices need a 'special' type of rs232 connection. I remember building a set of connector cables that needed a 10k pullup resistor and some handshaking lines hardwired.

Additionally the RTS line needed to be set to supply the open collector Tx of the gage .... wasn't well documented , they wanted to sell the adaptor 😉

I attached my serial 'swiss army nife'  I made to play around with serial ... It allow you to assert or unassert the control lines on the fly , however changing the serial parameters on the fly was never implemented...

If you have a working software  portmon (a serial sniffer) is nice to see what the driver is doing.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,633 Views)

For my Mitutoyo Linear Digimatic ID-H0530 I send it GA00\r, it replies with GN00,+0032.2545\r\n.

Like Dennis said, you can usually find the communication commands in the manual or the leaflet included with the instrument.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,627 Views)

Hi there! Were you able to get LabVIEW to work with the force gauge? I'm having the same question as you, but I'm trying to get LabVIEW to work with both my arduino board and get readings from the gauge. Thank you in advance! 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,874 Views)

i have used this example to read data from Mitutoyo 543-564E, Digimatic indicator but data output is not received. while it is giving data when i have tested on hyper terminal, can you please address this to help me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,668 Views)

When i am writing command GA00\r to digimatic indicator it reply 15 byte data, CH01, Error 52, but instrument data not received. i have tried all combination of command but received same error please reply if anyone has faced this problem and found solution.

Thanks..

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,663 Views)

Hi

can you send me the vi you tried with CR LF but before you save the vi goto edit (2e left upper cmd on screen) and select "Make current values default"

This will show me exactly what you tried.

I expect to see a \r\n as text instead as codes.

To prevent that make sure that the string control you type into has as visible item the display style active

(you can do that by rightclick on the front panel string and select visible items/display style)

And select the following style:2018-11-17 11_58_40-Window.png

What you see then should look like: 

2018-11-17 12_01_07-Window.pngWhere the String 2 has the normal display with the same contents

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 9 of 9
(4,654 Views)