Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading HDLC data and removing padding 0's

I'm using Labview 7. Can anybody tell me if there are existing vi's to strip the data payload from a HDLC frame and removing the pading 0's. I'm reading the serial port at 9600. Only inputs are clock and data.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,458 Views)
At 9600 baud you could probably use a converter available from Black Box or the like. these will connect right up to a serial port and you are in business.

I have developed drivers for 3rd party interfaces capable of handle HDLC at up 2 Mbaud. In that case an 800 MHz machine benchmark indicated that explicit "bit stuffing" and its compliment took more than 50% of the CPU. Modern machines could do better of course. My point is that bits stuffing is no small task and should be implemented in hardware if possible.

So....

I recomend looking for an appropriate hardware converter.

If you decide to go ahead and do this taks in software, then I recomend you carefully review the first LV Coding challenge to get some ideas on how to to optimize large scale bit-w
ise operations in LV.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,458 Views)
Bit Twidler challenge results;

http://www.ni.com/devzone/lvzone/codechallenge1_results.htm

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,458 Views)
Thank You for the reply, unfortunately I have to do it with software. It will be used to read radar data at remote sites with only a Laptop. I found the following vi, I think it is part of other software. I think it can be used with some modification and a vi to strip the data payload.It is one way communication only.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,458 Views)