From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read parallel port

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to read data from the parallel port with VISA.

The basics: I'm using a PC running Windows 7, with LabVIEW 2010 (SP1). NI-MAX shows that I have NI-VISA 4.6. I have checked the parallel port in the BIOS and it is set to ECP, which seems (from previous posts) to be the correct setting .

MAX shows the parallel port with the VISA alias "LPT1", and says the device is working properly. However, when I use the VISA test panel in MAX to read from LPT1 it returns the error code BFFF0015.

A simple VI in LV 2010  that calls VISA Read with "LPT1" (or "ASRL10") as the resource name also fails, returning the error code BFFF0072.

I've done this in the past with the "In Port" and "Out Port" functions, but these are no longer available.

Thanks for your advice, and best regards,

Geoff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,179 Views)

Googling "labview read parallel port" resulted in http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B937AC4D8664E37886257206000551CB

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,163 Views)

Thanks nyc; I read the page recently, but didn't find it helpful for my issue.

geoffreyh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,129 Views)
The post does say you can't use VISA to read a parallel port. A basic digital I/O device would seem to be the most practical solution. You've probably already spent more time than what one of them is worth.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,125 Views)

Thanks Dennis. I can't use a basic I/O device--the software is to run in a neuro-imaging facility in a medical center, and they don't allow 'foreign' devices. I will have to use a pulse that comes through a 25-pin parallel port plug. Is there a way to configure a Call Library function in LabVIEW 2010/Windows 7 to read the prallel port?

Rgegards,

geoffreyh

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,118 Views)
They don't allow add-in cards to the pc? Your parallel port is on the mother board?

As the article mentions, there is no built-in support in Windows to read. I certainly don't know of a way. Maybe someone else does.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,112 Views)

Hi,

I've had success using some free shareware called from Driver Lynx called DLPortIO with some C++ applications.

You sould be able to call the DLL from LabVIEW.

This link might help

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-get-data-from-a-pointer-to-an-array-using-dlportio/td-p/10357...

Good luck,

Curt

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,075 Views)

hi Curt-- thanks for the pointer; much appreciated.

geoff

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,058 Views)